Breaking up parts of a document by typing different characters to form a line is a time-consuming and potentially error-prone method. Rather than doing that, learning the simplest ways is the best you can do to insert a line in word.
How To Insert A Line In Word?
While Word is one of the easiest tools to use with the simplest UI, it can be often problematic when you forgot most common things like “inserting a horizontal line”.
Here are two ways to add a line in word,
1. Inserting A Line With AutoFormat
Microsoft Word’s AutoFormat feature is probably the quickest and easiest method for inserting a line into your word document. You can easily create a line of your desire instantly with just typing a few characters. For this,
- Place your cursor in the location that you’d like to insert a line.
- Select a particular character of your choice.
- Type three of the particular character and hit the Enter key.
- Your line will automatically be created in the spot chosen.
Here are the characters that can be used to create a line via AutoFormat.
- Plain single line: Three hyphens (—)
- Plain double line: Three equal signs (===)
- Wavy line: Three tildes (~~~)
- Bold single line: Three underline symbols (___)
- Broken/dotted line: Three asterisks (***)
- Triple line w/thick center: Three number signs (###)
- What Does Upside Down Smiley Mean? Facts Explained
- HMU: Facts, What does HMU Mean and How to Use It
- What Does WCW Mean? Why And When Do People Use It?
2. Inserting A Line With The Horizontal Line Tool
The other method to insert a line into a Word document is using the built-in Horizontal Line tool. Follow these steps to insert a line,
- Put your cursor in the place where you’d like to insert a line.
- Click on Home button which is located in the upper left-hand corner.
- Find the Borders button which is located in the Paragraph section. Click on the down arrow following this button.
- Select the Horizontal Line option from the drop-down menu.
- Now a basic horizontal line will appear in your document. If you’d like to change its appearance then double-click on the line.
- Upon double-clicking on the line the Format Horizontal Line dialog should now appear. Here you can adjust the width, height, and color of your line as well as change its alignment.
- You can also resize or move your line by using so-called “drag and drop”. For this click on it once and dragging the entire line to another location or drag the sizing arrows to get your desire line.