If you are a Chrome book user or a laptop having Chrome OS on it then perhaps no error message is more frightening to you than “Chrome OS is missing or damaged.” Although there are a number of ways to fix this issue but getting the correct tips is a bit of hassle.
Reason Behind “Chrome OS Is Missing or Damaged” Error
Generally, the “Chrome OS is missing or damaged” error arises when your computer encounters problems loading the operating system. This problem is normally found during startup, however, it can also appear at random while you’re using your computer.
The “Chrome OS is missing or damaged” error screen looks somewhat different depending on the device’s model, however, the possible solutions are the same for all Chromebooks.
We have listed the best solution on “How to Fix the Chrome OS Is Missing or Damaged Error on Chromebooks” down below.
Tips to Fix the “Chrome OS Is Missing or Damaged” Error on Chromebooks
Follow these steps in order till your Chromebook can boot successfully:
1. Power off and on your Chromebook
Hold down the power button until your device turns off, then wait a few seconds and press the power button again to turn it back on.
2. Reset your Chromebook to factory settings
If you’re able to log in to your Chromebook, you can powerwash Chrome OS to return your machine to its original state. Remember, doing a factory reset will erase all of your locally stored files, so make sure you back up everything to your Google Drive.
In order to perform powerwash open the Chrome browser, go to Settings. Select Advanced and go to Reset settings section. Select the Powerwash option and Restart.
3. Reinstall Chrome OS
If your computer is still stuck at the “Chrome OS is missing or damaged” screen, then your only option is to perform a fresh install of the operating system. Just remember to back up your files as reinstalling Chrome OS in recovery mode will completely wipe your hard drive including your downloads and personal files.
- Stream2watch 10 Best Alternatives, Similar Websites and Apps
- Gogoanime Facts and 10 Best Working Alternatives
- OnlineMovieWatch – Top 10 Best Alternatives To Try Now
How to Reinstall Chrome OS
In order to reinstall your Chromebook’s operating system all you need is a working computer. However, it is not restricted to Chrome OS and you can use any of the macOS, or Windows or Chrome OS. Apart from that, you need a formatted USB flash drive or SD card with a minimum of 4 GB of space.
- Open the Google Chrome browser on a working computer. Now download and install the Chromebook Recovery Utility by selecting Add to Chrome in Chrome Web Store.
- Launch the program, provide your Chromebook’s model number, then follow the on-screen prompts to download Chrome OS to your removable media. Once complete, remove the USB drive or SD card. Remember, if it prompted to grant your OS permission to make changes to your USB drive or SD card, select Yes or Allow.
- With your Chromebook powered on, hold Esc + Refresh on the keyboard, then press the power button to reboot in recovery mode.
- At the “Chrome OS is missing or damaged” screen, insert the SD card or USB drive containing Chrome OS. You’ll then be taken through the operating system’s installation process.
Once the process completes, your Chromebook should function as it did before. However, if the problem still isn’t fixed, then you may have a hardware issue and should contact Google or your device’s manufacturer for further assistance.