More
    ExplainersUSS New Orleans Fire: What We Know About the Blaze on US...

    USS New Orleans Fire: What We Know About the Blaze on US Navy Ship in Okinawa

    A fire erupted aboard the USS New Orleans (LPD-18), a San Antonio-class amphibious transport dock, on Wednesday, August 20, at around 5 p.m. local time while moored at White Beach Naval Facility in Uruma City, Okinawa.

    Footage aired by Japanese broadcaster NHK showed thick black smoke rising from the bow of the vessel.

    Immediate Response from US and Japanese Forces

    US Navy crews responded immediately to the blaze, supported by Japan Coast Guard tugboats and Japan Self-Defense Force vessels.

    As of Thursday, the Navy confirmed the fire was “contained but not fully extinguished,” according to USNI News. Authorities reported no injuries and no oil spills during firefighting operations.

    Cause of Fire Still Under Investigation

    The US 7th Fleet stated that investigations are ongoing to determine the fire’s cause:

    - Advertisement -

    “We will provide more details as they become available,” the statement said.

    A Japan Coast Guard official told Stars and Stripes that the blaze began in the front section of the vessel, though it is unclear whether it started internally or externally.

    So far, there is no evidence of arson, mechanical failure, or an external attack. Analysts have drawn comparisons to the 2020 USS Bonhomme Richard fire in San Diego, which destroyed the ship after four days, raising renewed concerns about Navy safety and maintenance practices, according to Military Times.

    Impact on Navy Readiness and Indo-Pacific Operations

    Commissioned in 2007 and based in Sasebo, the USS New Orleans is part of the Navy’s forward-deployed amphibious force and can carry up to 800 Marines. The US Marine Corps confirmed no Marines were onboard at the time of the incident.

    This fire comes amid a readiness crisis for the Navy’s amphibious fleet. A 2024 Government Accountability Office (GAO) report revealed that only 41% of the Navy’s 32 amphibious warfare ships were fully operational. Marine Corps Commandant Gen. Eric Smith previously warned that an 80% readiness level is essential for mission success, per Voice of America.

    Ongoing Response and Strategic Concerns

    The Navy briefly withdrew its request for Japanese assistance at 5:55 p.m., reinstating it about 90 minutes later, according to Stars and Stripes. The Japan Coast Guard dispatched additional patrol vessels, and no evacuation orders were issued.

    While the Navy states that environmental risks are under control, experts caution that prolonged downtime could delay joint US-Japan exercises and impact rapid-response capabilities in the Indo-Pacific.

    Hot this week

    7 Best Face Creams For Glowing Skin That Actually Works

    Glowing skin tells a lot about your health and...

    Chocolate Face Mask: DIY Recipes & Skin Benefits

    Have you ever considered treating your skin with chocolate?...

    Coin Stock in Spotlight as Coinbase Seeks SEC Approval for Tokenized Equities

    Shares of Coinbase Global Inc. (NASDAQ: COIN) are back...

    Best Premium Juicers In USA (With Reviews)

    Premium Juicers: Having a juice extractor at home makes...

    Best Adventure Movies of All Time

    Looking for the best adventure movies of all time?...

    Topics

    Iran Nuclear Talks Resume in Geneva as Tehran Launches Naval Drills

    Fresh nuclear negotiations between Iran and Western officials are...

    Trump Says US Should ‘Fix Itself’ Before Preaching to Other Nations

    US President Donald Trump has argued that the United...

    Related Articles

    Popular Categories