More
    World AffairsUN Chief Warns of 'Death and Destruction' as Israel Advances Gaza Takeover...

    UN Chief Warns of ‘Death and Destruction’ as Israel Advances Gaza Takeover Plan

    Israel pressed forward with its plan to seize the Gaza Strip, despite calls from United Nations Secretary-General Antonio Guterres for an immediate ceasefire. Guterres warned that a military operation by the Israel Defence Forces (IDF) could lead to “death and destruction” in Gaza City.

    Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, however, announced on Wednesday that he was “shortening the timelines” for the IDF’s plans to take control of Gaza City.

    West Bank Settlement Expansion Sparks International Alarm

    The upcoming Gaza offensive comes as Israel has approved 3,400 new housing units in the occupied West Bank. The move has sparked international concern and reignited debates over the future of a Palestinian state.

    Finance Minister Bezalel Smotrich, a hard-line coalition partner, said the new homes are proof that the “idea of a Palestinian state is being erased from the table.”

    IDF Prepares for Large-Scale Operation

    The IDF has called up 60,000 reservists ahead of the operation.

    “The next phase of the war has begun,” Brig. Gen. Effie Defrin, the military’s chief spokesperson, declared, as troops moved into Gaza City’s outskirts to relocate displaced residents to southern Gaza, reported the New York Times.

    - Advertisement -

    Ceasefire Talks Face Uncertainty

    The Israeli takeover comes as mediators floated a new ceasefire proposal, reportedly close to terms Israel had previously supported. The escalations cast doubt on whether peace talks could advance.

    An Israeli military official told NYT that the looming assault aims to prevent Hamas, which carried out the deadly October 7, 2023, attack on southern Israel, from regrouping and planning future attacks.

    UN Chief Calls for Immediate Ceasefire

    United Nations Secretary-General Antonio Guterres urged an immediate ceasefire in Gaza to prevent further “death and destruction.” Speaking in Japan at an African development conference, Guterres also called on Hamas to release hostages unconditionally and urged Israel to reverse the decision to expand “illegal” settlements in the West Bank.

    Reports of Shooting in Northern West Bank

    The IDF is investigating a “security incident” near the Malachei Hashalom settlement in the northern West Bank. Hebrew outlets report a shooting targeting Israeli shepherds, with one 2-year-old lightly wounded.

    Hot this week

    John Morrison: Coeur d’Alene Fire Battalion Chief Identified as Firefighter Killed in Idaho Ambush

    John Morrison, a 39-year-old battalion chief with the Coeur...

    How To Change Safari’s Search Engine On Your iPhone, Mac

    Are you one of the few people who prefer...

    Winter Storm Closes Schools Across Central, Northeast US

    A major winter storm sweeping across the Central and...

    TikTok Messaging Upgrade Brings Voice Notes

    TikTok is expanding beyond short videos by adding voice...

    Google App Reportedly Testing New Incognito Mode Shortcut

    According to a report, Google is developing a new...

    Topics

    Iran Nuclear Talks Resume in Geneva as Tehran Launches Naval Drills

    Fresh nuclear negotiations between Iran and Western officials are...

    Related Articles

    Popular Categories