World AffairsTrump Threatens to Bomb Oman as US-Iran Deadline Expires Without a Deal

Trump Threatens to Bomb Oman as US-Iran Deadline Expires Without a Deal

President Trump warned Monday that he would attack Oman if the Gulf nation “gets in the way” of US efforts in the Strait of Hormuz, as the 60-day deadline set under a June memorandum of understanding for the US and Iran to reach a deal ending their conflict quietly expired without an agreement.

What Happened

Speaking to reporters, Trump repeated a threat he first made in May, warning of a potential strike on Oman if it interferes with American operations around the strait. Oman has served as a key mediator throughout the conflict, hosting talks aimed at reopening the waterway to commercial shipping. Trump said he was “in no rush” for a deal with Iran and claimed his administration had established a direct backchannel with Iran’s Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps, a claim the IRGC has publicly denied.

The 60-day deadline for the US and Iran to reach an agreement, set under the memorandum of understanding both sides signed in June, expired Monday without a finalized deal, though officials on both sides have said in recent weeks that the June agreement had effectively already collapsed. Trump reiterated that his administration’s top priority in the conflict remains preventing Iran from obtaining a nuclear weapon, a position that some of his own advisers have reportedly pushed back on, arguing that keeping oil prices low should be treated as an equally important priority given the economic stakes.

The US Defense Department said in a statement that CENTCOM forces have redirected 64 commercial vessels, disabled three, and boarded two to ensure compliance with the naval blockade of Iranian ports, as of Monday. GPS spoofing has also emerged as a persistent complication, with navigation interference causing ships’ broadcast positions to appear dozens of miles from their actual locations, further complicating monitoring efforts.

Why It Matters

Trump’s renewed threat against Oman, a country that has functioned as one of the few consistently trusted intermediaries between Washington and Tehran throughout the conflict, risks undermining the very channel his administration has relied on to pursue diplomatic progress. Targeting a mediating nation would represent a significant escalation beyond the conflict’s primary combatants and could jeopardize Oman’s willingness to continue facilitating talks.

The expiration of the 60-day deadline, even if largely symbolic given that both sides had already signaled the underlying agreement had broken down, formalizes what has been evident for weeks: the diplomatic framework established in June failed to produce a lasting resolution. That failure leaves the conflict, machinery of blockade enforcement, and periodic outbreaks of direct fighting as the primary tools shaping the situation rather than a negotiated settlement.

- Advertisement -

The disagreement within Trump’s own administration over whether nuclear non-proliferation or oil price stability should take precedence highlights a genuine tension in US strategy: an outcome that satisfies one priority, such as prolonged pressure to prevent Iranian nuclear development, could work directly against the other by sustaining the market uncertainty that has kept energy prices elevated and volatile throughout 2026.

Context and Background

The June memorandum of understanding between the US and Iran was reached following an earlier phase of direct fighting, with both sides agreeing to a 60-day window to negotiate a more comprehensive resolution, including terms for reopening the Strait of Hormuz. That framework began unraveling in July when fighting resumed, and has continued to fray through subsequent months even as narrower, Oman-mediated talks on a specific shipping corridor have shown intermittent signs of progress.

Trump’s threats against Oman date back to at least May, reflecting a consistent, if unusual, willingness to publicly threaten a country that has simultaneously served as a key diplomatic partner in the broader effort to de-escalate the conflict, a dynamic that has puzzled some regional observers given Oman’s historically neutral, bridge-building role in Gulf diplomacy.

The naval blockade of Iranian ports, first imposed in April, has continued to expand in scope, with CENTCOM’s disclosed figures showing a steady increase in redirected, disabled, and boarded vessels over the course of the conflict, reflecting sustained American enforcement efforts even as the broader diplomatic track has struggled to produce results.

Analysis

Regional diplomacy analysts note that Trump’s willingness to threaten Oman directly, even as talks continue through Omani mediation, reflects a broader pattern in his approach to the conflict: applying maximum pressure across multiple fronts simultaneously, including against parties nominally assisting US objectives, a strategy that carries real risk of alienating mediators whose continued cooperation the administration still needs.

Some foreign policy observers point to the internal administration debate over prioritizing nuclear non-proliferation versus oil price stability as reflecting a deeper, unresolved strategic question that has shaped the conflict’s inconsistent trajectory throughout 2026, with different factions within the administration appearing to pull US policy in different directions depending on which priority currently holds more influence.

Analysts tracking Iran’s IRGC statements note the direct denial of Trump’s claimed backchannel is notable, given that such claims, if false, could complicate Iran’s domestic political messaging by suggesting unauthorized or unacknowledged contact with Washington, a sensitive issue for a government already managing significant internal political pressure.

What Happens Next

Markets and regional governments will continue monitoring both the narrower Oman-mediated shipping talks and any further statements from Trump regarding Oman specifically, given the risk that continued threats could complicate that country’s willingness to continue serving as an intermediary. The naval blockade’s enforcement operations are expected to continue expanding in scope regardless of the diplomatic track’s progress.

Continued ambiguity over the administration’s core priorities, non-proliferation versus energy market stability, is likely to keep shaping how the conflict evolves in the coming weeks, particularly as pressure builds domestically ahead of the US midterm elections given persistent public skepticism about the war’s costs and benefits.

Hot this week

Meta Quest Pro 2 to Be Developed in Collaboration With LG

According to reports, the Meta Quest Pro 2 would...

8 Best Things To Do In Cancun, Mexico

Those who are looking for the best things to...

Massive Volcano Erupts in Russia After 8.8 Magnitude Quake, Glowing Lava Seen

The Klyuchevskoy volcano, noted as the tallest and most...

Plastic Surgery – Rethinking the Need to ‘Age Gracefully’

I prefer to age gracefully. For many women, what...

Serena Williams Criticizes NYC Hotel’s Cotton Decor

Tennis legend Serena Williams shared two videos on Instagram...

Topics

Colombia Asks Trump to Suspend Tariffs as Earthquake Toll Hits 294

Colombian President Abelardo de la Espriella asked President Trump...

Related Articles

Popular Categories