Israel’s government opened bidding this week for more than 1,200 homes in the contested E1 area of the occupied West Bank, drawing sharp condemnation from seven Western governments, including a British threat of sanctions, as the project’s bid deadline was set just days before Israel’s October elections.
What Happened
Israel’s Ministry of Construction and Housing published a tender on August 18 for seven residential compounds totaling 1,234 housing units in E1, a strategically sensitive tract of land east of Jerusalem separating the West Bank settlement of Ma’ale Adumim from occupied East Jerusalem. The units represent roughly a third of the 3,401 homes approved for the broader E1 project last August. Bids are due October 19, just eight days before Israel’s parliamentary elections on October 27.
The UK summoned Israel’s chargé d’affaires in response, with Foreign Secretary Ed Miliband telling his Israeli counterpart, Gideon Sa’ar, that Israel must immediately halt the plans and withdraw the tender. Miliband said Britain would soon announce a package of measures, including sanctions against those involved in illegal settlement expansion, declaring “Britain will not stand back and accept the destruction of the two-state solution.” Sa’ar rejected the statement “outright,” writing on social media that “the Jewish people have the right to live throughout the Land of Israel, just as the British have the right to live in London,” and accusing the UK of ignoring Palestinian extremism.
On Thursday, the United Kingdom, France, Germany, Italy, the Netherlands, Norway, and Canada issued a joint statement calling the tender “unacceptable,” warning that construction in E1 would “seriously undermine the viability of the two-State solution” and cautioning businesses that bidding on the project could expose them to “legal and reputational consequences, including the risk of involving themselves in serious breaches of international law.”
Why It Matters
E1’s development has been recognized for decades as one of the most consequential single steps Israel could take against a future contiguous Palestinian state, given its location: construction there would physically sever the northern and southern portions of the West Bank while cutting off Palestinian access between East Jerusalem and the rest of the territory. Finance Minister Bezalel Smotrich has previously said the project would “practically erase the two-state delusion.”
The timing of the tender, with bids due just over a week before Israel’s elections, has drawn accusations from the Israeli watchdog group Peace Now that the government is racing to lock in construction commitments before any potential political change, particularly given polling showing Netanyahu’s coalition facing declining support. Peace Now also noted that Israel’s State Attorney’s Office had told petitioners in July that no E1 tenders were expected for two to three months, making the sudden publication a departure from the government’s own stated timeline.
The scale of international condemnation, now including traditionally close US allies like Canada and multiple EU members, illustrates the E1 project’s unique status as a red line that even governments generally supportive of Israel have consistently opposed across successive administrations spanning more than three decades, reflecting broad international consensus that the project would foreclose the two-state solution as a practical matter.
Context and Background
Plans for E1 date back to 1991 under Prime Minister Yitzhak Shamir and were advanced under Yitzhak Rabin in 1994, but residential construction was repeatedly frozen amid sustained international pressure, particularly from the United States during multiple prior administrations. Israel began preliminary infrastructure work, including roads and a police headquarters, in 2004, but the full residential plan remained shelved for two decades.
Israel’s security cabinet gave final approval to the complete 3,401-unit E1 plan in August 2025, a decision that drew condemnation from at least 21 countries at the time. Since then, Israel’s security cabinet has also approved measures in February 2026 expanding Israeli administrative authority in the West Bank, including greater enforcement in areas nominally administered by the Palestinian Authority.
The tender’s publication comes amid what the joint condemnation statement described as “grave instability in the West Bank with unprecedented levels of violence by settlers against civilians,” a reference to the sharp escalation in settler attacks documented throughout 2026, with UN officials reporting that this year’s settler-violence death toll had already exceeded all of 2025 even before the summer’s most severe incidents.
Analysis
Middle East analysts note that the E1 tender’s timing relative to Israel’s October election suggests a calculated political strategy by Netanyahu’s coalition, which has faced pressure from hardline partners including Smotrich and National Security Minister Itamar Ben-Gvir to lock in maximalist settlement policies before any potential shift in Israel’s governing coalition following the vote.
Diplomatic observers point to the UK’s explicit threat of sanctions, a more concrete step than previous rounds of condemnation limited to statements and summoned envoys, as signaling a potential shift toward more consequential European responses to settlement expansion, building on earlier coordinated sanctions that Britain, Canada, France, and Norway imposed on individuals and networks linked to settler violence in June 2026.
Some regional analysts caution that despite the scale of international condemnation, the practical likelihood of the tender being withdrawn remains low given Netanyahu’s coalition dynamics, meaning the more consequential outcome to watch may be whether threatened sanctions and reputational warnings actually deter construction companies from submitting bids before the October 19 deadline.
What Happens Next
The tender’s October 19 bid deadline will be a key date to watch, both for whether construction companies proceed despite the international warnings and for how the timing interacts with Israel’s October 27 election. The UK’s promised sanctions package is expected to be detailed in the coming weeks.
Continued diplomatic pressure from the seven-nation coalition and potentially additional countries is likely in the run-up to the bid deadline, though the practical outcome will depend significantly on whether Israel’s government proceeds with awarding contracts regardless of international objections, a pattern consistent with its approach to previous rounds of settlement-related condemnation.
