US President Donald Trump made an unexpected stop during his Florida motorcade on Friday morning to personally purchase marble and onyx for the planned White House ballroom, according to pool reports and White House officials.
Trump visited Arc Stone & Tile in an industrial area of Lake Worth, Florida, near Interstate 95, while staying at his Mar-a-Lago resort for the holidays. Officials said the materials were purchased “at his own expense.”
Motorcade stop and purchase details
The out-of-town press pool remained in vans near nearby railroad tracks and was not permitted inside the store as Trump shopped. After leaving the supplier, the president’s motorcade continued to the Trump International Golf Club, where he later played golf.
It was not Trump’s first visit to Arc Stone & Tile. The company previously supplied Italian marble for the Mar-a-Lago ballroom in 2004, according to its website.
Update on the White House ballroom project
Trump has long advocated adding a ballroom to the White House, an idea he promoted even before entering politics. The White House previously announced plans for a 90,000-square-foot ballroom on the east side of the complex, initially estimated to cost $200 million and to be funded through private donations, including Trump’s own contributions.
Over time, the project expanded in both scale and cost. Trump later increased the proposed capacity to 999 guests. By October, the two-story East Wing was demolished to make room for construction. In December, Trump said the cost had risen to $400 million, significantly above earlier projections.
Construction timeline and legal challenges
Early excavation and construction work are already underway, despite legal challenges from historic preservation groups. Trump has said he wants the ballroom completed before the end of his term in January 2029.
The White House is expected to present updated design plans to the National Capital Planning Commission at its January 8 meeting.
Why Trump says the ballroom is needed
Trump has argued that existing White House spaces are too small for large events. The State Dining Room can host about 130 guests, while the East Room accommodates roughly 300, fewer when television equipment is required.
Large events are often held in temporary tents on the South Lawn, a solution Trump has repeatedly criticized.
Other changes to the White House
In addition to the ballroom project, Trump said he has refurbished parts of the White House with marble flooring and is adding marble armrests to the Kennedy Center. He has said such upgrades are necessary to modernize and expand the functionality of the historic complex.
While the demolition of the East Wing sparked criticism from historians and preservation advocates, officials have noted that the White House has undergone major changes throughout its history, including the construction of the West Wing in 1902, the addition of a third floor to the residence, and the creation of the East Wing during World War II.
Public reaction remains divided
Trump has pledged that the ballroom will be funded entirely through private donations and his own money. “We’re under budget and ahead of schedule,” he said in late December, while acknowledging the project’s growing size and cost.
Public opinion remains split. An October Washington Post–ABC News–Ipsos poll found that 56% of Americans oppose the East Wing demolition and ballroom project, with 45% saying they strongly oppose it.


