Australian authorities are continuing to investigate a deadly mass shooting at Bondi Beach in Sydney that left at least 16 people dead and more than 40 injured, according to multiple reports, including ABC News. The attack occurred on Sunday evening local time as large crowds gathered at the popular beachfront area for a Hanukkah event.
The incident has been declared a terrorist attack motivated by antisemitism, making it one of the deadliest mass shootings in Australia since the 1996 Port Arthur massacre.
***IMPORTANT INFORMATION***
Police can confirm 16 people have died and 40 people remain in hospital following yesterday’s shooting at Bondi.
More information will be made available soon.
— NSW Police Force (@nswpolice) December 14, 2025
Naveed Akram Identified as Alleged Gunman
Law enforcement sources have identified Naveed Akram, a 24-year-old man from Sydney’s south-west, as one of the alleged gunmen involved in the attack. Australian social media users also identified another suspect as Khaled Al-Nablusi from Sidon.
Authorities confirmed that two men carried out the shooting. One of the suspects has since died. Officials stated that Naveed Akram is not the deceased individual.
The shooters in Australia were identified by some sources as two individuals: one from Lebanon, Khaled Al-Nablusi from Sidon, and the other, Naveed Akram from Pakistan. pic.twitter.com/jepTSRNuMx
— Zita🇺🇸❤️ (@DrOzitababy) December 14, 2025
What Authorities Say So Far
Australian officials declared the assault a terrorist incident driven by antisemitism. Authorities revealed that one of the suspects was previously known to the Australian Security Intelligence Organisation (ASIO) but was not considered an imminent threat before the attack.
The Australian Broadcasting Corporation, citing a senior law enforcement official, reported that Naveed Akram’s home in the Bonnyrigg suburb was raided by police on Sunday evening as part of the investigation.
Police remain at the family residence, with public access restricted.
Family Claims Akram Was on a Fishing Trip
Speaking to media as police surrounded her home, Akram’s mother, Verena, said her son last contacted the family on Sunday morning, hours before the shooting. She stated that he had gone away with a relative for the weekend.
“He rings me up [on Sunday] and said, Mum, I just went for a swim. I went scuba diving. We’re going … to eat now, and then this morning, and we’re going to stay home now because it’s very hot,” Verena said.
She added that she was unable to identify her son from images taken at the shooting scene and strongly denied he could be involved in violent activity.
“He doesn’t have a firearm. He doesn’t even go out. He doesn’t mix around with friends. He doesn’t drink, he doesn’t smoke, he doesn’t go to bad places … he goes to work, he comes home, he goes to exercise, and that’s it,” she said.
“Anyone would wish to have a son like my son … he’s a good boy.”
Background and Personal Details
Naveed Akram worked as a bricklayer but had been unemployed for about two months after the company he worked for became insolvent. According to his mother, he was actively looking for work at the time of the attack.
While he had many friends during his school years at Cabramatta High School, Akram was described as not particularly social in recent years. His interests reportedly included fishing, scuba diving, swimming, and exercise.
Akram appeared in a 2022 social media post indicating he had completed Koran studies at the Al-Murad Institute in Heckenberg, western Sydney. That post has since been removed.
He lived with his parents and two younger siblings in a three-bedroom home purchased in 2024. The family previously resided in Cabramatta.
Political and International Reactions
Australian Prime Minister Anthony Albanese condemned the shooting as an “act of evil antisemitism,” emphasizing that the Jewish community was deliberately targeted during a significant religious event.
Australian Prime Minister Anthony Albanese has condemned the Bondi Beach attack as a devastating terrorist incident targeting Jewish Australians. He described the act as evil antisemitism and reaffirmed that there is no place for hatred or violence in Australia. #BondiAttack pic.twitter.com/x2REFSmOva
— LoudFact (@loudfactcom) December 14, 2025
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu also commented on the incident, stating that he had previously warned Albanese that government policies were “adding fuel to the fire of antisemitism on the streets.”
According to The Jerusalem Post, Israeli authorities are investigating whether Iran or its proxies may have played a role in the attack. Israeli intelligence agencies are examining whether foreign networks that target Jewish communities abroad contributed to or inspired the shooting.
Investigation Ongoing
As the investigation continues, authorities are working to establish the full timeline of events, the suspects’ motivations, and whether there were warning signs prior to the attack. Officials have stated that more information will be released as it becomes available.


