More
    World AffairsCongo Cobalt Mine Disaster Leaves Dozens Dead

    Congo Cobalt Mine Disaster Leaves Dozens Dead

    A major tragedy struck south-eastern Congo after a bridge collapsed at a cobalt mine, killing at least 32 workers, according to regional officials. The incident occurred Saturday at the flooded Kalando mine in Lualaba province, one of the world’s most important cobalt-producing regions.

    Bridge Collapsed as Miners Crossed Makeshift Structure

    Roy Kaumba Mayonde, the Lualaba provincial interior minister, confirmed that 32 bodies have been recovered so far, with search operations still underway. The mine is located roughly 26 miles south-east of Kolwezi, the provincial capital.

    Mayonde said the disaster occurred when miners rushed onto a temporary bridge set up over a water-filled trench: “Despite a formal ban on access to the site because of the heavy rain and the risk of a landslide, wildcat miners forced their way into the quarry,” he said.

    He added that the surge of miners crossing the unstable structure caused it to collapse.

    Report Cites Panic, Disputes, and Tension on the Ground

    A report by SAEMAPE, the government agency overseeing mining cooperatives, stated that the presence of soldiers at the site triggered panic among miners. The Kalando mine has long been the center of disputes between informal miners, the cooperative designated to organize work, and legal operators—reportedly involving Chinese interests.

    According to the report, when the bridge collapsed, miners fell and “piled on top of each other causing the deaths and injuries.”

    - Advertisement -

    Graphic Images Reveal Scale of the Tragedy

    Images shared with AFP by the provincial office of the National Human Rights Commission (CNDH) showed miners pulling bodies from the trench, with at least 17 bodies laid out nearby.

    Arthur Kabulo, CNDH’s provincial coordinator, said that more than 10,000 informal miners work at the site.

    In response to the deadly collapse, authorities suspended all operations at Kalando on Sunday.

    Congo’s Cobalt Industry: High Demand, High Risk

    The Democratic Republic of Congo produces over 70% of the world’s cobalt, a critical component in electric vehicle batteries, mobile phones, and laptops. More than 200,000 people are believed to work in the country’s large informal mining sector, where dangerous working conditions, corruption, and child labor remain persistent concerns.

    Saturday’s collapse highlights the growing risks miners face as cobalt demand surges globally.

    Hot this week

    California Tsunami Landfall Expected in Less Than 4 Hours, Philippines and New Zealand on High Alert

    The National Weather Service’s Tsunami Warning Center has reported...

    Elon Musk Praised by Trump as ‘Good Man’ With Issues

    President Donald Trump believes Tesla CEO Elon Musk will...

    Paleo Diet For Weight Loss: Facts, Guide And Diet Plan

    The word "Paleo" comes from the Paleolithic age, as...

    Canadian Tourist, 9, Found Dead in NYC Following Kidnapping Claim

    A tragic incident has occurred involving 9-year-old Melina Galanis...

    Prince Alwaleed bin Khaled: Saudi Arabia’s ‘Sleeping Prince’ Dies

    Prince Alwaleed bin Khaled bin Talal bin Abdulaziz Al...

    Topics

    Nancy Grace Kidnapping Claims Face Scrutiny After New Details Emerge

    A high-profile kidnapping narrative that gained national attention is...

    Related Articles

    Popular Categories