The gunman who killed two Catholic school children and wounded more than a dozen others at a Minneapolis church earlier this week had previously been a student at the same school and a member of the parish, authorities revealed Thursday.
Investigators Analyzing Writings, Videos, and Digital Evidence
Minneapolis Police Chief Brian O’Hara told NBC that investigators are reviewing videos, writings, and digital evidence belonging to 23-year-old Robin Westman, but the motive remains unclear.
“Everything we’ve seen so far is a classic pathway to an active shooter,” O’Hara said. He added that investigators had found nothing “specific to trigger the amount of hate that occurred yesterday.”
Authorities confirmed that Westman’s mother worked for the parish until retiring in 2021. Among the recovered writings, one note chillingly stated: “I know this is wrong, but I can’t seem to stop myself.”
Shooter Expressed Depression and Grievances Online
Videos believed to have been posted by Westman on YouTube showed weapons, ammunition, and references to other mass shooters. A document resembling a suicide note to family members described longstanding plans for violence and struggles with depression.
Police confirmed that Westman acted alone and had no extensive criminal history.
Weapons, Writings, and Suicide Note Found
Authorities recovered hundreds of pieces of evidence from the church and three residences linked to the shooter, including additional writings but no further firearms.
Westman, armed with a rifle, shotgun, and pistol, died by suicide after the assault, police said.
Two Children Dead, 18 Others Injured
City officials confirmed that two children, ages 8 and 10, were killed. Fifteen more children — ages 6 to 15 — and three parishioners in their 80s were injured. Most victims are expected to survive, though one child remained in critical condition as of Thursday, according to the Associated Press.
FBI Calls It ‘Domestic Terrorism’ Motivated by Hate
FBI Director Kash Patel described the incident as: “An act of domestic terrorism motivated by hate-filled ideology,” citing statements the shooter made against multiple religions and threats against US President Donald Trump.
Shooter Identified as Transgender; Mayor Responds
Federal officials identified Westman as transgender. Minneapolis Mayor Jacob Frey condemned efforts to direct hatred at: “Our transgender community.”
Court records revealed that in 2020, a judge approved a petition signed by Westman’s mother to change the shooter’s name from Robert to Robin, noting that the petitioner: “Identifies as a female and wants her name to reflect that identification.”