It’s pretty common for all of us to signup our skype account with a clever username but later we regret our choice when we need it for professional communication and search for “how to change skype username?”.
But don’t worry as this guide will help you exactly with changing your skype username on all skype platform which includes Skype for Windows and Mac, Skype on the web, the Skype mobile app, and Skype for Business with the easiest way possible.
Skype Username Vs Skype Display Name
It’s common to get confused with username and display but the truth is they are both different. With Skype, you are only allowed to change your display name whenever ever you want. This Skype display name is the name which others will see while communicating with you.
On the other hand, your Skype username is the email address used to create your Microsoft account and if you want to change your Skype username(user-id) then you can only be done it by changing the email address associated with it and your Microsoft account. As Microsoft acquired Skype in 2011, it requires a Microsoft account to sign up for Skype.
Note: If you have a Skype account which you have created before Microsoft acquisition then that must have one non-email based username which you can’t change. In that case, the only option is to create a new account with Microsoft account by ditching all your contacts.
How to Change Skype Display Name on Mac and Windows
If you looking to change your Skype name on Windows PC or Mac then here’s how you can change it,
1. Open the Skype app.
2. Click your Skype profile image or display name located on the top-left corner of the screen.
3. Click on Skype Profile.
4. Click on the Edit Pencil icon and enter a new name.
5. Press Enter or click the checkmark on the right-hand side of the text box.
How to Change Skype Display Name on Mobile
Changing Skype name on your smartphones is fairly easy and straightforward. Here how you can do it,
1. Open Skype app.
2. Tap on your Skype profile image at the top of the page.
3. Now tap your Skype display name, alternatively, you can select the Edit icon next to the display name.
4. Enter your new name.
5. Tap Done or select the checkmark icon on the right-hand side of the name.
Changing Your Name By Skype for Business
Skype for Business accounts are created by the employers, who assigns them an email address (usually their work email address) and name. Because of this users are unable to change their usernames or display names by themselves.
If you want to change your Skype for Business ID then you’ll need to reach out to the relevant member of your IT department to change it for you.
- How to Change Spotify Username: Easiest Ways To Modify It
- How To Change Youtube Profile Picture: Step By Step Guide
- Archived Facebook Messages – Here Is How To Find & Read It
Change Your Skype Username on the Web
You can change your Skype Username on the web by following ways,
1. Login to Skype.com
2. Select your name in the top-right corner of the screen.
3. From the drop-down menu that appears, click My Account.
4. Scroll down to Contact details and select Edit profile.
5. Click Edit Profile and then enter your new username.
6. Click Save located near the top-right corner of the page.
7. Click OK to confirm the change.