It’s a common question for all while leaving the salon how much to tip the hairdresser. This question I ask myself every time when I leave the salon after hair cut or color appointment. Tipping is a common and often expected practice in hair salons. So, how much should you tip the hairdresser? How much should you tip the colorist?
If you ask yourself these same questions then you’re in the right place. No need to worry as we will clear everything about how much to tip hairdressers. Go through it before your next appointment and leave the salon with confidence.
Why You Should Tip Your Hairdresser?
Place yourself in your hairdresser’s place and think about it. Hairdressers do much more for you than just color or style your hair. They not only make you comfortable with small talk, and beverages but also provide you with complete satisfaction and stays with you until your service lasts.
Tipping your hairdresser is a good gesture and also a way to show how much you appreciate their services and their time. It’s a harsh fact that stylists and colorists make the majority of their living off of tips and not a low hourly wage, so it’s important to keep that in mind when booking your appointment.
How Much To Tip A Hairdresser
A tip is a percentage of the total bill which is paid directly to the stylist. It’s paid in addition to the cost of the services you had done at the salon. Tip your hairdresser at least 10%, but preferably 15% or 20%.
If it’s an exceptional cut, color, or style, you can tip more than 20% to show your appreciation. If you didn’t love the results then you can tip ten percent. If you had a bad experience at the salon but it’s an honest mistake then this amount is appropriate.
If you liked or loved the results or if it’s your first time at a new salon with a stylist you like, tip at least 15%. If you are extremely happy with the service then you can opt for a 20% tip.
No need to worry, we’ll show you how to decide which amount is right for your situation.
You can leave a 10% tip with…
- You just came in for a small service
- It didn’t take long for the stylist for the task
- You’re coming back in a short time for a more expensive service
- You didn’t love the results of your cut, color, or style and won’t be returning
You should leave a 15% tip with…
- Regular salon visit
- It’s your first time at a new salon
- You liked the results
- Your visit took an average amount of time
- Your service was expensive, and you need to stay within a budget
You should leave a 20% tip when…
- You love the results of your salon visit
- You and your stylist have a good relationship
- You liked your new stylist
- Your stylist worked you in without an appointment
- Your stylist spent extra time on your hair to give you the results you wanted
You should leave a tip of more than 20% when…
- You’re thrilled with the service
- Your stylist came to you or did your hair for a very special occasion
- Your stylist has been going through a rough patch and you’re in a position to offer a larger tip in their time of need
- 8 Most Revealing Bathing Suits For Women
- 8 Best Natural Face Wash That Are Super Effective
- Top 6 Best Silk Sheets That Gives Ultimate Comfort
Frequently Asked Questions
How much do you tip for a $100 hair color?
When tipping a hairdresser, the general rule of thumb is to tip 15 to 20 percent. So if your hairdresser did a great job on your hair color, you could give them a $20 tip. If they didn’t do as well as you would have liked, you could give them $15.
How much do you tip a hairdresser on a $200 service?
In general, the easiest thing you can do is set your own price based on the service the hairdresser provides. For a service that costs $200, you could leave a $30 to $40 (15% to 20%) tip, depending on how satisfied you were with the service.
How much should you tip a hairdresser for a $150 service?
If you tip 20%, you will leave a $30 tip. If you tipped 10%, you would leave a $15 tip, or you could go with a $20 tip.
How much should you tip a hairdresser for a $25 service?
In general, you should tip 15% to 20% of the entire bill. So if your service costs $25, you will tip $3 to $5.
Should I tip my hairdresser in cash?
There are many ways to tip a hairdresser, but most prefer to get tips in cash. Other options include writing a personal check, using Venmo or Paypal, placing the tip in an envelope, or leaving it with the person at the front desk so the hairdresser can pick it up after you leave. It’s also fine to ask the hairdresser how they prefer to receive their tips.