Like me, you may have come across “This site can’t be reached” error quite an often and looking for a solution to put an end to this. Well in the past I used to search just like you and after applying several things I finally got the way to fix it. That’s why I decided to share the ways to fix the issue “This site can’t be reached” or you getting the error page “This site cannot be reached… ERR_CONNECTION_TIMED_OUT”.
For most of the Google Chrome users facing this issue with the error message “Unexpectedly closed the connection” or “Server DNS address could not be found” or “Server not found” or “domain cannot be found”. This also comes with the warning messages “DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN” or “ERR_CONNECTION_CLOSED” or “ERR_CONNECTION_RESET” or “ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED” and took too long to respond and Chrome keeps showing that can’t reach the website.
[SOLVED] “This Site Can’t Be Reached”
There may be some cases you may come across when some websites not loading on your Android devices too. You may also search for “why can’t I reach a website” on google. However no need to be worried, here are some tips that you should apply to fix those errors completely.
People also ask:
- Why I am getting ‘This site Cannot be reached’?
- Fixing this site can’t be reached err_connection_timed_out?
- How to fix refused connection?
- What does it mean when a connection is refused?
- How to allow Chrome to access the network in my firewall?
Before going to fix let me tell you one thing, these errors mostly generated if you don’t have an active internet connection or a misconfigured network. In some cases, these can also occur because of dead DNS server response or by the firewall.
So it’s better to take a look at firewall settings to check whether it’s blocking Google Chrome from locating the network.
Keep in mind that this problem is not limited to Google Chrome only and it may come inside other browser and even prevents from connecting to the sites. So how to handle it and fix it? Is this a problem with your ISP? Or modem? Or Firewall? What can you do to fix “This site can’t be reached” error?
Here are some working methods to fix this site can’t be reached error easily.
Tips To Fix This Site Can’t Be Reached
1. Windows Network Diagnostic
- Go to Control Panel -> Network and Sharing Center
- Open “Properties” of active “Network Connection”
- In Status window, click on Diagnosis to run Network troubleshooter
- It will start detecting the problems and run potential fixes to resolve any network issues that you may have.
- After performing diagnosis, disconnect the internet and reconnect to verify.
2. Reset Google Chrome, Clear all flags & Reinstall the Latest version
Reset All Flags:
- Open Chrome and enter “chrome://flags/” in the address bar
- Click “Reset all to defaults” and verify
- Open Chrome Settings
- Go to Show Advanced Setting -> At bottom-last click on “Reset settings” and verify
Reinstalling The Latest Version
- Remove Chrome and clean your registry with Ccleaner.
- Download the latest version from the official site and install it and check whether it solves the error or not.
3. Use Chrome Addon and Unlock Sites
Check using VPN extension to verify the error. Most of the VPN extensions present in Chrome store are free, just add one of them into your chrome and check it. Once you install you will get an icon near to address bar, click on it and choose the preferred country you would like. That’s it you will be able to surf again those sites.
4. Reset Network Adapters
Note: This will reset all your modem settings and all your connected network passwords. So make a backup of your credentials to connect later.
- Go to Control Panel -> Device Manager
- Select Network adapters and right-click on each and chose to uninstall the driver
- Restart your PC
- Connect to the network and check.
5. Allow DNS Prefetching
Note: If you getting the error with the Google Chrome only then follow these steps to fix it.
Make sure you are using an updated Google Chrome version of your Windows.
- Open Chrome and go to Chrome settings
- Under Settings open Show advanced settings -> Privacy column
- Then look for “Use a prediction service to load pages more quickly”
- Select its checkbox to allow DNS prediction.
- Restart Chrome and check.
6. Check And Modify Working DNS IP
This is the most common fix for the “This site can’t be reached” error. It is because of DNS lookup failure that prevents you from visiting websites, so it’s better to change the DNS IP address and verify it.
- Open Control Panel -> Network and Sharing Center
- Open “Properties” of active “Network Connection”
- Double-click on “Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IP)” or open its properties.
- In the option of “Use the following DNS server addresses” use the following DNS IP address:
- OpenDNS server IP addresses:
Preferred DNS server:126.96.36.199
Alternate DNS server:188.8.131.52
Google Public DNS IP addresses:
Preferred DNS server: 184.108.40.206
Alternate DNS server:220.127.116.11
- Validate Settings and check that will actually fix the failing DNS lookup failure error.
7. DNS flush, Reset TCP/IP Network
Resetting the TCP/IP network in Windows is another option to fix this site can’t be reached. When your DNS is not able to convert URL or domain name to IP by TCP/TP protocol, then there is DNS lookup failure. In order to fix this issue, you need to reset your TCP/IP to its default values.
Open Command Prompt or Windows PowerShell with Admin privileges. Type following instructions and press enter. Remember to go one by one.
- ipconfig /release -> press Enter
- ipconfig /all -> press Enter
- ipconfig /flushdns -> press Enter
- ipconfig /renew -> press Enter
- netsh int ip set dns -> press Enter
- netsh winsock reset -> press Enter
Restart your pc to apply the changes and verify.
- iPhone Keeps Shutting Off Repeatedly: Here is How To Fix It
- Android File Transfer Not Working On Mac: Here Is How To Fix
- WordPress Ping List 2019: Rocket Up Your Indexing In No Time
- Amazon App Store vs Google Play in 2018: Which Is Better?
Go through the above steps and let us know which step works for you. Further, you can share your views, and if you know any fix for this error “This Site Can’t Be Reached” then you can share it via comment.