No wonder India is a beautiful country. From impressive forts, palaces, temples, beaches along with a rich history of this country will delight you no matter what you are looking for. So, if you are planning to visit India then consider visiting North India first, it will set off the traveler in you with the sheer range of places it has to offer.
You will enjoy the heart of the Thar Desert, snow-capped mountain ranges in the Himalayas, Golden temple and one of the seven wonders – Taj Mahal. So, if you’re looking to tour this part of India, here are a few places from the northern part of the country that you shouldn’t miss.
Srinagar, Jammu and Kashmir
Srinagar is a place of splendid natural beauty that carries every bit the essence of heaven on earth. It is the capital of Jammu and Kashmir and lies on the banks of the Jhelum River with serene lakes and Mughal-style gardens. Srinagar is mostly known for its houseboats, cold and pleasant climate all year round.
- Location: Jammu & Kashmir
- LoudFact Travel Tips: April to October is the best time to visit this beautiful city. However, try to travel there in early April to experience the beautiful Tulip Festival.
Note: Although calm has been restored in the valley, civil unrest has been a concern in this area. So its advisable to get the details about the valley before planning a trip there.
Leh Ladakh, Jammu and Kashmir
This place is my personal favorite because of its crazy winding roads, and desert mountains. You will find quite friendly locals out here to spend the night. These days remote Ladakh has become an increasingly popular traveler stop since it was opened to foreigners in 1974. Buddhist monasteries and trekking events are the greatest draws for visitors. This place is also known as “Biker’s Paradise”, and you will find out most bikers exploring Zanskar Valley, Pangong Tso Lake, Khardung-La Pass.
- Location: 294 miles away from Manali
- LoudFact Travel Tips: April to May and mid-September to October is the perfect time to explore this place.
Shimla, Himachal Pradesh
Shimla also called summer capital of India is known for its beautiful surroundings and salubrious climate. It is a clean and well-maintained city and is popular especially among honeymooners. The main attractions are Jakhoo Hill, Mall Road, the toy train and cute cafes.
- Location: 227 miles away from Amritsar
- LoudFact Travel Tips: March till June. Summer season is a peak season in Shimla. This is because during the season, the weather remains pleasant and it the best time to enjoy adventure sports.
- Top 10 Dream Places To Visit In India Before You Die
- Lesser-Known Travel Destinations You’ve Probably Never Heard Of
Manali, Himachal Pradesh
Manali has some amazing views thanks to its cozy location filled with lush forests, ancient temples, colorful fields of flowers, art, and cultural centers, wildlife sanctuaries and flowing blue streams. Because of Beas Valley, It is known as one of North India’s best ski places in winter.
Manali is definitely the best place for river rafting, trekking, paragliding, zorbing, and yak riding. If you’re looking to do adventure sports then Solang Valley is a must visit place for you. The main attractions are Beas River, Rohtang Pass, Beas Kund, and Solang Valley.
- Location: 244 miles away from Amritsar
- LoudFact Travel Tips: October to June is the best time to tour this place.
Rajasthan(Jaipur, Jaisalmer, Udaipur)
Jaipur also called the Pink City of India has a lot to offer tourists including ancient temples, forts, monument, museums, gardens and vast market. While you are in Jaipur don’t miss to enjoy the mouth-watering Rajasthani cuisine.
- Location: Rajasthan
- LoudFact Travel Tips: The best time to visit Jaipur is during the winter months, from early November through to February.
Jaisalmer is a city located in the heart of the Thar Desert, offers stunning views and impressive architecture. Almost every city in Rajasthan has a lot to offer its visitors.
- Location: 347 miles away from Jaipur
- LoudFact Travel Tips: The best time to visit Jaisalmer is from November to December.
Udaipur is also known as the city of lakes. This wonderful city of Rajasthan possesses a number of castles many of which have been converted into hotels, letting you have a regal experience. The main attractions are City Palace, Lake Pichola, and Lake Palace.
- Location: 245 miles away from Jaipur
- LoudFact Travel Tips: The best time to visit Udaipur is from September to March.
Amritsar is home to the world famous Golden Temple. This beautiful and peaceful city is a popular holiday spot for its great food, welcoming locals, impressive structures and spiritual places. The main attractions are the Golden Temple, JallianwalaBagh, and Wagah Border.
- Location: Punjab
- LoudFact Travel Tips: The best time to visit Udaipur is from November to March.
Haridwar and Rishikesh, Uttarakhand
Haridwar is a great religious destination in north India that offers largest of several sacred ghats in the river Ganga. Worshipers fill the city during major festivals including the annual Kanwar Mela.
Rishikesh is said to be the yoga capital of India and is 20 km up from Haridwar offers a great mix of scenic landscapes, ancient temples, cafes, ashrams, and adventure activities. The city offers adventure sports like bungee jumping and river rafting. The main attractions are Mansa Devi Temple, Rajaji National Park.
- Location: Haridwar is 137miles away from Delhi and Rishikesh is just 20 miles away from Haridwar
- LoudFact Travel Tips: The best time to visit Haridwar is from February to March and August to October. For Rishikesh, it’s between late September to mid-November and March to May of every year.
Agra, Uttar Pradesh
No wonder most people visit this place to witness the majestic symbol of love. Agra is the home of one of the seven wonders of the world which is the cultural representative of India. Apart from Taj Mahal, there are several other attractions like Agra Fort, Dilli Gate, Moti Masjid and Jama Masjid which adds this place in the top of the list.
- Location: 145 miles away from Delhi
- LoudFact Travel Tips: As per the locals, the best time to visit this place is between April to October.
Varanasi, Uttar Pradesh
Varanasi is a divine Hindu city and one of the top spiritual destinations in India with a very ancient history. This is the best place to calm your mind and body with the stunning backdrop of the Ganges. Varanasi is also known as the city of Hindu God – Lord Shiva, the god of creation and destruction. As per the Hindu mythology, even a wash in the Ganges River can cleanse away all sins. Give a visit to Dashashwamedh Ghat and Vishwanath temple while exploring the city.
- Location: 510 miles away from Delhi
- LoudFact Travel Tips: Try to visit between October to February when its winter in India. Winter is a month of festivals which are celebrated with enthusiasm and fervor in Varanasi.
Delhi is the perfect mix of modernity as well as a rich culture. You cannot miss seeing this uniquely historic and cosmopolitan city. If you are in India, try to visit this city to experience its historic monuments, diverse culture, decorated gardens, bustling bazaars, and youthful liveliness. Some famous attractions include the iconic India Gate, Red Fort, Qutub Minar, Jama Masjid, Humayun’s Tomb, Chandi Chowk, Lotus temple and Lodhi Gardens.
- Location: Delhi, NCR
- LoudFact Travel Tips: Try to visit between October to March when the weather is at its best.
Note: The overall Air Quality Index (AQI) of Delhi was recorded at 276 in October 2018, which falls in the poor category, according to the data from the Central Pollution Control Board, India. Please take necessary precautions while planning your trip.