Android is a mobile operating system based on a modified version of the Linux kernel and other open-source software. This operating was primarily designed for touchscreen mobile devices such as smartphones and tablets.
Android is developed by a consortium of developers known as the Open Handset Alliance, with the main contributor and commercial marketer being Google.
Interesting Facts About Android
Here are some of the most interesting facts about Android.
1. Android wasn’t Created By Google, originally google didn’t develop Android. The Android package was developed by Android INC. The company was primarily based in October 2003 by Andy Rubin, Chris White, Nick Sears, and created Rich Miner. But in 2004 the company faced financial problems and in 2005 Google brought android from android INC, paid $50 million for the OS.
2. Android was originally developed for Digital Cameras only. But after a while, Google changed its focus towards the smartphone, as it saw the potentiality of smartphones in the market. Now-a-days Android referred to as the simplest smartphone technology in the competitive market.
3. The first Android smartphone was HTC Dream or T- Mobile G1 depending on your country. It was released in 2008 with version 1.0 and additionally upgraded up to Android 1.6. HTC Dream has supported Linux operating system with having a sliding keyboard.
4. Android version names: Except for android 1.0 and 1.1, all the other Android versions are named based on sweet treat and desserts with the alphabetic order. Below are the names of various android versions: cupcake – android 1.5, doughnut – android 1.6, eclair – android 2.0, Froyo – android 2.2, gingerbread – android 2.3, Honeycomb – Android 3.0, ice cream Sandwich – android 4.0, candy – android 4.1 – 4.3.1, KitKat – Android 4.4 – 4.4.4, Lollipop – android 5.0 – 5.1.1, marshmallow – android 6.0 – 6.0.1, nougat – android 7.0 – 7.1, oreo – android 8.0 – 8.1, Pie – android 9.0 Google has statues every version of the Android OS outside of its headquarters.
5. Android has Phandroid: Phandroid was the primary website dedicated to Android as well as news, review, forum, etc. The first post came identical days as Google formally declared android in 2007. Phandroid broke numerous Android-related exclusive stories over the years.
- SOZ Meaning – What Does The Abbreviation ‘SOZ’ Stand For?
- What Does TFTI Mean? Definition and Usage Examples
- How to remove Ad.doubleclick.net completely: Step by Step Guide
6. Even NASA uses android, they sent 2 Nexus S handset with running android gingerbread OS into space to check their sensor in orbit, abroad the international space station.
7. First Android Smart Watch created by Sony: Google declared a special version android Wear for smartwatches in 2014 and since then we’ve seen various Android smartwatches in the market. One can assume that these are the primary android smartwatches to be created, however, one company beat everyone in 2010.
Sony (Ericsson) launched the LiveView watch in 2010. It connected to android phones to show Twitter feeds, RSS feeds, SMS, and management to the phone’s media player. In 2013 Sony launched SmartWatch 2 with several similar options. It wasn’t till this point that Samsung launched its first Android smartwatch. Sony was way ahead at that time.
8. Android Logo design is inspired by the Atari Game called “Gauntlet: The Third Encounter”. Many people think the name of android’s logo character is android, but it’s not true. Unofficially Google Team is known as it by name: Bugdroid. The word, android is that the name of the male robot wherever a feminine looking robot is known as Gynoid.
9. The first Android prototype looked like a Blackberry: In 2007, before Apple showed off the initial iPhone, the first Android model was floating around. The device named as “Sooner” had a portrait keyboard, call and end buttons, trackpad, and no touchscreen.
The Android UI even resembled the Blackberry interface. Then the iPhone declared. It had no physical keyboard, a big display for the time, and a revolutionary touchscreen interface. Afterward, we tend to saw subsequent android device model, the T-Mobile G1, also had a big display and a touchscreen interface.
The Blackberry-Esque model never came to market. we can’t say certainly that the iPhone had any impact on Google’s vision for Android, but it wouldn’t be out of the question.
10. Android is open source: does one acknowledge that Android is open-source? Since Google could also be a member of Open Handset Alliance (OHA), it’s given users or interested people the choice to change the ASCII text file of the OS. This has allowed makers to add options to the OS.